How do I setup Recovery?
After you add your first file or photo to the app, you’ll be prompted to setup your recovery. If you’d like to set it up before adding content, you may do so in the Settings area.
- First, you’ll acknowledge that you understand that without setting up Account Recovery, you will not be able to restore your account if you get locked out. 4Privacy cannot reset your PIN or recovery for you. Then, you’ll select “Start Recovery Setup” Note: If you select “I’ll do this later”, we will continue to prompt you to complete the setup.
- On the next screen, you’ll choose your Recovery mechanism. “Back up manually” means you will write down the 24 recovery words provided to you on the next screen. You’ll be able to verify you wrote them down correctly at the end of the process. Alternatively, you may print the 24 recovery words.
- If you choose to write them down, ensure the words are: numbered, spelled correctly, and legible. IMPORTANT: You must click “Activate Recovery” after writing the words down.
- On the next screen, you’ll have the option to double check you recorded your words properly. If your words are not recorded accurately, you risk losing access to your account if you’re locked out. Select “Yes, let’s double check” to confirm your words are correct through an interactive exercise (this takes ~2 mins). If you select “No thanks” – you will never see your recovery words again.
- If you decide to double check your words (good choice!), you’ll start typing the first word. When you see the word appear in the list below, you may select the word. Then, you’ll go to the next word. If all 24 words are correct, you’ll see a confetti animation. If a word is wrong, you’ll start over again, or see your recovery words again.